Old is Gold! Yes, but not in every case, especially when it comes to renovating your cozy home or giving your portable bathroom a new look. Well, one can easily do so by changing the color of their bathtub. And that’s why today we will tell you everything you need to know on how to paint a plastic bathtub in a mobile home.
Although it may sound odd that a plastic tub can actually be painted, nonetheless, it is possible. Provided that you are fully equipped with all the supplies required and are aware of the correct information to do the job properly.
That’s why you need to go through our extensive guide to find the answers to all your queries regarding painting a plastic bathtub. Here we have mentioned exactly what you need to do and how to do it. More of all, those who are on a budget and want to upgrade the loom of their bathrooms should definitely keep on reading.
Step-By-Step Process On How To Paint A Plastic Bathtub In A Mobile Home
Step 1: Before you even start to think about painting a plastic bathtub, make sure you clean the area around it. As there may be soap particles, grim, and hair, making the surface dirty.
Step 2: The next step is to apply a cleanser that will effectively eliminate any waste or grease, leaving the whole surface of the plastic bathtub spotless and making it easier to paint.
Step 3: Now that the bathtub is clean, you must sand the tub to make sure you get a proper grip for the paint to stick to.
Step 4: Apply primer as the base coat, after which you have to give it a few minutes to let it dry properly.
Step 5: First, grab that top-quality acrylic enamel plastic tub paint and finish by applying two coats. After which, the result will be a brand-new bathtub.
Painting a plastic bathtub is not something you have to lose sleep over. All you have to do is go through the steps properly to get the job done effectively.
Before you start painting the whole bathtub, it is strongly advised to apply your paint on a small section at first. By doing so, you can see what the final outcome would be.
The DIY method of painting plastic bathtubs is recommended for those who are on a budget and cannot afford to hire a professional painter. And the best part is that your job will be done just as well, as you can easily get your hands on the paint that professionals use.
Do’s And Don’ts When Painting A Plastic Tub
Do’s When Painting A Plastic Tub:
1. Make sure there is enough ventilation in the area where you will paint the bathtub.
2. Protect yourself and the areas around the plastic bathtub before beginning to paint.
3. This has been mentioned before, but it is essential to absolutely dry the plastic bathtub, as a single drop of water will get in the way of painting with perfection.
4. Wait for at least two days until the paint dries off completely before taking a soak in your bathtub.
Don’t When Painting A Plastic Tub:
- Don’t start painting after washing and drying the plastic tub. Take time to sand the surfaces; otherwise, the paint will start peeling off when dry.
2. Don’t just use any paint you find at the store; make sure it’s acyclic enamel paint for your plastic bathtub.
3. Don’t paint the second coat instantly. Let the first coat dry properly for at least two hours, and if necessary, then apply the next coat.
Tips For Painting A Plastic Bathtub
Tip 1: The most important thing is to clean the bathtub until it looks new. No matter how long it takes, the most effort is needed to wash away all the remaining particles; otherwise, the paint will not adhere to the plastic tub.
Tip 2: It will take a lifetime for the plastic bathtub to dry. To speed things up, get hold of an old towel and start wiping the bathtub dry.
Tip 3: Cover the area around the bathtub to prevent paint from making the whole bathroom messy.
Tip 4: Make sure you sand all the surfaces correctly. Otherwise, the paint will be uneven, ruining your plastic bathtub’s final look.
Tip 5: Lastly, as plastic bathtub paint contains toxins and chemicals, it is strongly recommended to wear rubber gloves to avoid your skin coming in contact with the paint. And also, warning a mask is advisable chemical odor is very strong.
What Are The Most Necessary Supplies Required For Painting A Plastic Bathtub?
- Paint Cleanser
- Cloth or scrubber to get rid of all the dirt/ rags
- Old towel/paper towel
- Plastic paint tub
What Paint To Use On A Plastic Bathtub?
To paint a plastic bathtub, it is highly advisable to use acrylic enamels.
This is because other types of paint tend to be less adhesive when applied to plastic. And yes, needless to mention that a bathtub will get wet; hence you don’t have to worry about the paint melting and coming off when using acrylic enamels.
Can You Paint Over Plastic Tubs?
Yes, you can paint over plastic bathtubs, but there are a few things that you must take into consideration before doing so.
Firstly you must sand down the existing paint and then use a chemical stripper, which will help the new color to stick properly on the plastic bathtub.
Otherwise, all the hard work and effort you put into changing the look of your bathroom will go down the drain!
Can You Paint The Outside Of A Plastic Bathtub?
Yes, you can paint the outside of a plastic tub.
After painting the interior, dip that brush into the bucket of plastic tub paint and apply a couple of coats on the outside of the plastic bath.
Why Is It Important To Paint A Plastic Bathtub?
First and foremost, painting your plastic bathtub will make all the scratches and stains invisible, giving your tub a shiny new look.
2. If you are on a budget but want to update your bathroom, then do this by splashing some good quality plastic tub paint on your bathtub and seeing the changes.
3. Since most bathrooms are painted using light colors, you may want to experiment a little and change the color of the sink and plastic bathtub to uplift the whole look of your portable bathroom.
4. Some may think that painting a plastic bathtub without the help of professionals is a mammoth task. But it’s way easier than you think; you must follow the instructions carefully to get the job done by yourself to give your bathtub that modern look.
How Much Does It Cost To Paint A Plastic Bathtub?
While it is evident that professionals will charge you a higher amount as they have to clean the tub first and then take all the necessary steps to paint it. But if you are on a budget, you can save a few dollars by doing it yourself, starting from the cleaning to the painting. Just make sure you know what you are doing.
The cost of painting a plastic bathtub is $300-$600.
How Safe Is It To Paint A Plastic Bathtub?
It is safe to paint a plastic bathtub at home, provided you follow our instructions and buy the proper paint.
Well, now that you know everything you need to know about painting a plastic bathtub, maybe you should put those gloves on and get to work.
But make sure you give the plastic tub a good scrub and sand the surfaces before painting.
One more thing, at least waits two days until you decide to take a soak in your brand-new plastic bathtub, as the paint needs to dry properly.